Sunday, October 17, 2010

BP9_Weebly.com


This week I have found a new web 2.0 tool that is a web creation & hosting site at Weebly.com that is very educator friendly and perfect for students.

Last week I created a Google site for my courses and found it a bit difficult to learn to create navigation for the site. As a marketing teacher, I want my students to be able to create sites for class projects, but I think Google Sites is a bit difficult to manage.

This is where Weebly .com is going to be an excellent tool for my students. Not only can I have a teacher site for my courses, I can manage student sites as well. They can be public or private. The design options for page design are much more visually appealing compared to Google site design options.

I have created a new lesson designed to give my students the opportunity to learn about marketing, specifically, niche marketing, by creating their own websites for a niche market. Not only will they be able to develop their own interactive website and blog, they will be able to view other classmates sites and evaluate their sites as well. They will also have the option to have it published to the web and optimize their site for search engines. This also give them the opportunity to generate some income by adding affiliate products to their website or through Google Adsense.

This is a perfect tool for my marketing classroom. I am looking forward to how their sites turn out. The students have also taken the assignment a bit more seriously because they have a vested interest in the outcome.

I will keep everyone posted on how they turn out. If you are looking for a student friendly web creation site, try Weebly.


1 comment:

  1. Brandi, I haven't been able to dive into this site yet, but I've heard some great things about it, especially that the kids can all have their own website to show off their work.

    My preliminary thoughts are to use this with my multimedia class later on to showcase some of their work and possibly track their progressions that led them to their final work.

    I think them setting up their own pages will help get them more adept in being creative in their work with the mindset that it could possibly be seen by many as opposed to just our class or the school.

    Look forward to see how you use it in your classes.

    ReplyDelete